Sunday, April 8, 2012

"Shaken Not Stirred", an evening with Henry Blofeld.

On Thursday 5th April, I went to see Henry Blofeld at Hull City Hall. For those that don't know him, Henry is a commentator on the BBC radio programme Test Match Special. He's had cricket in his blood since 1947, and is one of the most well known cricket commentators around the world.

I've been listening to Test Match Special (TMS) for over 30 years now, so Henry, often known as "Blowers" (following the Etonian tradition of adding 'ers' onto the surname, started by Brian 'Johnners' Johnston) has been the sound of summer for me since I was ten. He is truly an individual and idiosyncratic commentator. He was my father's favourite commentator, just a nose (no pun intended), ahead of Johnners.

Unfortunately, my wife didn't come with me to the performance. She's not a cricket fan and didn't think that she would get the humour. She needn't have worried. Cricket was mentioned, of course, but it was by no means the dominant topic of conversation. Blowers told a series of tales, jokes and anecdotes including his friendships with Ian Fleming, Noel Coward and Clive Dunn. He had the whole audience enthralled for the whole performance. He is a natural and brilliant raconteur.

Blowers spoke with only the briefest of notes for two halves of approximately an hour each. One of the best compliments I could give would be to say that if it had been twice the length, that would have been great for me. I thoroughly enjoyed myself for the duration of the evening, and judging by the laughter, I wasn't the only one. I can honestly recommend "Shaken Not Stirred" to everyone, cricket lover or not.

As I write this, I'm drinking a glass of red. To your health, Blowers. My Dear Old Thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment