Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Welcome. No, really - welcome!

Hello.

I know what you're thinking. "Oh my dear God. Do we really need another inane blog from some idiot that thinks they can write?"

Well, probably not. But it's either this or sit at home shouting at the telly, and I hear that they lock people up for that. You wouldn't want that now, would you?

I'm hoping that this blog will become a reasonably frequent activity, a view on life from my vantage point in the Yorkshire countryside ("The Sticks"). Sometimes it'll be serious, sometimes it won't be. Sometimes I'll be sarcastic. I know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but frankly, it's often the best I can do. You might well agree with some of what I write here, you might not. I will never set out to deliberately offend anyone, however my views might differ from yours, and some people call that "being offended".

Despite it being January as I write this, I promise you that this is not a New Year's Resolution. If it was, I'd have broken it by now. I just like to have an opinion on things, and as much as I like Twitter, sometimes I'd just like to use more than 140 characters. To be honest, I'm envious of people who are fortunate enough to earn a living babbling on about things that they already enjoy. I'd love to be a cricket commentator but my own playing standard wasn't really high enough, and I know nothing about broadcasting. Ho Hum.

So who am I? I'm a father of five children between the ages of 6 and 13. I work full time as a software engineer in the packaging industry, but I've done a few other things in life beside that. I've been a Special Constable, I've done voluntary teaching for people with mental health difficulties, I even helped administer electronic vote counting in the Scottish elections of 2007. I've lived abroad and seen a reasonable amount of the world travelling for work.

This is going to be an interesting year for me. Whisper it, but I'm going to be 40.  Join me as I attempt to get some thoughts written down before dementia sets in.

Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment